Author Topic: UPDATED: ExampleVM scripts and documentation available  (Read 2885 times)

ChrisFloyd

Re: UPDATED: ExampleVM scripts and documentation available
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
Tom,

Yes, that will work. 

tdeneau

Re: NEW!! ExampleVM scripts and documentation now available
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »
When running 2 tiles using the Example VMs, I am trying to understand what to do with the clients.
Can I not drive the two tiles from a single client with that client having the full for set of IP addresses
for all the VMS in the 2 tiles?   I changed Control.config to have NUM_TILES=2
but when I start runspecvirt.sh, it is looking for a host called client2.

-- Tom

The script documentation states that the goal of the scripts is to set up a single tile. We're glad to hear you were successful. I considered writing a script to automate this, but since you're in a hurry, we wrote up the steps instead.

To clone a tile, you need to do the following.
      • Change the hostname (/etc/sysconfig/network) and IP addresses (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1).
      • Delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules if it exists.
      • Edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts) to reflect the new hostname and IP addresses.
      • Reboot the VM. Log in and make sure you can ping other VMs.

Extra for appserver:
      • Edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts) to make sure that the alias specdb points to the correct dbserver (up to four appservers for each dbserver). That is, the specdb alias for appserver1-4 points to dbserver1-int. The specdb alias for appserver5-8 points to dbserver2-int.

Extra for infraserver:
      • Edit /etc/exports to change the tile number for webserver.

Extra for webserver:
      • Edit /etc/fstab to change the tile number for infraserver. (You may want to use a VM internal network for this mount if available.)
      • Make sure that the support/downloads directory is mounted from the infraserver VM via NFS.
      • Go to the /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen directory and edit the support wafgen files to set the TILEINDEX value for the tile you are creating:
      • Edit /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen/unix/support_downloads_props.rc and set the parameter TILEINDEX equal to the tile number minus 1 (for example, set TILEINDEX=1 for tile 2).
      • Edit /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen/unix/support_image_props.rc and set the parameter TILEINDEX equal to the tile number minus 1 (for example, set TILEINDEX=1 for tile 2)
      • Build the image files: ./Wafgen unix/support_image_props.rc
      • Build the support files: ./Wafgen unix/support_downloads_props.rc

tdeneau

Re: NEW!! ExampleVM scripts and documentation now available
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 03:33:05 PM »
      I think I have followed all the steps outlined below for tile 2 webserver/infraserver, but when I try to access     
http://webserver2/support thru a browser I always get
    "ScriptError: BeSim returned with an error number: 1"
My webserver/infraserver works fine on tile 1.
Any suggestions?

-- Tom

Extra for webserver:
  • Edit /etc/fstab to change the tile number for infraserver. (You may want to use a VM internal network for this mount if available.)
  • Make sure that the support/downloads directory is mounted from the infraserver VM via NFS.
  • Go to the /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen directory and edit the support wafgen files to set the TILEINDEX value for the tile you are creating:
  • Edit /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen/unix/support_downloads_props.rc and set the parameter TILEINDEX equal to the tile number minus 1 (for example, set TILEINDEX=1 for tile 2).
  • Edit /opt/SPECweb2005/wafgen/unix/support_image_props.rc and set the parameter TILEINDEX equal to the tile number minus 1 (for example, set TILEINDEX=1 for tile 2)
  • Build the image files: ./Wafgen unix/support_image_props.rc
  • Build the support files: ./Wafgen unix/support_downloads_props.rc
[/list][/list]

ChrisFloyd

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
Tom,

Technically, it is possible to run multiple clients on the same physical machine (i.e., OS), however, this can quickly become a complex and frustrating environment to maintain for more than a few tiles.   This is because the ports used for WORKLOAD_CLIENTS[Tile x][ Workload y], and the CLIENT_APP[Tile x][workload y] must all be unique. I suspect this may be the problem you are encountering. Most folks find using virtual clients (which can be cloned, replicated, and then edited only for /etc/hostname numerical IPs) a much simpler implementation.

tdeneau

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »
Thanks, Chris.
Yes, since posting this, I have switched to running each client in its own VM now.

My main problem seems to be the webserver on tile 2.
Digging down, I see that there is no /tmp/besim_support.globals on infraserver2 (unlike on infraserver1).

tdeneau

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 05:38:08 PM »
Meant to also add, using tcpdump, the error message I see coming back from BeSim is ""access to globals failed"

In a related question, even on infraserver1 I only see besim_support.globals, not besim_ecommerce.globals or besim_banking.globals.

-- Tom

Thanks, Chris.
Yes, since posting this, I have switched to running each client in its own VM now.

Digging down, I see that there is no /tmp/besim_support.globals on infraserver2 (unlike on infraserver1).

tdeneau

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
I noticed that if I copy /tmp/besim_support.globals from infraserver1 to infraserver2 and chown to apache:apache, the webserver2/support page does come up without an error.  Still have to see if the whole workload passes.

-- Tom